Ford Up 20 Percent, Lincoln Sales Up 17 June
June was good to Ford Motor Company with a total of 194,114 vehicles. Overall sales were up 14 percent compared to last year.
Ford - Up 20 Percent
Ford's lineup of cars saw an overall growth of 20 percent last month compared to June 2010, with the Fiesta and Focus leading the way. Combined sales of the two new small cars totaled 26,920 - an increase of 66 percent from last year. Focus sales were 21,385, up 41 percent versus a year ago, while the Fiesta contributed to the growth with 5535 sales. Ford attributes the sales increases to consumers' "strong demand for Ford's fuel efficient cars and crossovers."
Fusion sales are also up with a total of 20,808 sold - an increase of 13 percent from last June. This is the sixth consecutive month Ford's midsize car has gained. Fusion sales for the first half of 2011 were up 18 percent totaling 131,686 units year-to-date.
Ford SUV sales are up 25 percent overall (280,875 total sales) for the first half of 2011 compared to the first half of last year. Sales for the new unibody Explorer were up 56 percent compared to last year's body-on-frame SUV with a total of 10,422 sold. More importantly, retail sales of the Explorer are up a whopping 259 percent. So far year-to-date 2011 Explorer sales (65,823 units) have surpassed all of 2010 Explorer sales (60,687). Ford credits the Explorer's 25 mpg highway fuel economy as a factor for the increased sales.
Surprisingly, the compact (and dated) Escape continues to see sales increases - up 43 percent compared to June last year. June 2011 sales of the Escape totaled 22,274 for a total of 122,607 Escapes sales year-to-date an increase of 24 percent versus the first half of 2010. Edge sales were up 18 percent as well with 9,663 units moved.
Ford truck sales saw gains as well, including cargo movers. The Econoline van saw a 4 percent rise in sales, and the Turkish-built Transit Connect saw a 40 percent increase for a total of 2992 - its second-best sales month so far. The only compact truck left on the market, the Ford Ranger saw an 18 percent sales increase over last year besting the F-Series 7 percent gain.
F-Series sales totaled 49,618 for June securing it the spot as the "best-selling vehicle in the U.S." for another month. Year-to-date sales for the F-Series are up 10 percent this year with 264,079 total iterations sold. June continued the trend of V-6 equipped F-150s outselling V-8 models. Customers opted for the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine in 41 percent of F-150s sold, which combined with the 15 percent of 3.7 V-6 equipped F-150s sold equaled a 56 percent take rate for V-6 engines.
Making major headway in California, Ford sales were up 36 percent in the Golden State - the highest since 2006. Ford also cited gains in the East and South East regions of the country.
Mustang sales were down slightly compared to June 2010, with 8835 units sold versus 8974 from last year. The Taurus was up 1 percent from last year, 6674 versus 6607 from June 2010.
Lincoln - Up 17 Percent
The Lincoln MKZ saw increased sales with 2360 sold, up 31 percent from last June. MKS was up 18 percent compared to June 2010, with a total of 1214. The MKX crossover was up 35.6 percent, with 1771 units sold versus 1306 from June 2010.