Los Angeles, California – We spent last weekend in San Francisco attending Outside Lands, a music festival headlined by Kendrick Lamar, The Black Keys, and Sir Elton John. When our friends at StubHub first invited us to go, we started looking up flights from Los Angeles to San Francisco. But why fly coach when you can drive first-class? We were able to get behind the wheel of a brand-new 2015 Rolls-Royce Ghost for the 800 miles to and from the event, and we fell in love with these 12 features on the $410,025 beauty.
1. Coach-style doors
Not only do they look awesome, but they also let you comfortably ease into the back seats. No need to contort your body.
2. Always-upright wheel spinners
Point out this novel feature to someone in a gas station parking lot, and you’ll have to drive around in circles to prove it works.
3. Fully illuminated Spirit of Ecstasy
Kitschy, gimmicky, and it costs $3,825, but, man, does it look cool when you unlock the car at night.
4. In-door umbrella storage
A $700 option; just press a chrome button on either of the front doors and a gorgeous full-size umbrella pops out.
5. Rear-seat tray tables
What do you do when you stop for lunch and Chipotle is way too crowded? Eat your burrito bowl in the back seat of the Rolls.
6. Rear-seat audio controls
Because it wouldn’t be classy to stop eating your burrito bowl and get back into the driver’s seat simply to change the radio station, would it?
7. Temperature controls
They’re cool because they look like patriotic Oreos, and we love them because they’re stupidly easy to use.
8. Perforated leather headliner
While we prefer the optional Starlight headliner, this is quite the consolation prize.
9. Thin steering-wheel rim
In a world full of chubby, sporty steering wheels, the Ghost’s dainty rim feels as if it’s from a bygone era.
10. Adaptive suspension dampers
Self-leveling air springs with anti-roll software work complement adaptive dampers to give the Ghost a pampered ride.
11. Lambs wool floormats
Softer than the ears of a Labrador retriever, we would wear a sweater made out of this, even in summer.
12. Bespoke audio system
The 1,300-watt, 18-speaker setup is one of the best we’ve ever experienced. After the festival, we played Broods, G-Eazy, and Shakey Graves at full volume, and they sounded just as good in the 2015 Rolls-Royce Ghost as they did onstage at Outside Lands.
2015 Rolls-Royce Ghost Specifications
- On Sale: Now
- Price: $291,350/$410,025 (base/as tested)
- Engine: 6.6L DOHC 48-valve V-12/563 hp @ 5,250 rpm, 575 lb-ft @ 1,500 rpm
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic
- Layout: 4-door, 4-passenger, front-engine, RWD sedan
- EPA Mileage: 13/21 mpg (city/hwy)
- Suspension F/R: Control arms, air springs/multilink, air springs
- Brakes: Vented discs
- Tires: 255/45R-20/285/40R-20 Continental ContiSportContact
- L x W x H: 212.6. x 76.7 x 61.0 in
- Wheelbase: 129.7 in
- Headroom F/R: 40.6/39.0 in
- Legroom F/R: 41.7/42.3 in
- Shoulder Room F/R: 59.4/55.8 in
- Cargo Room: 17.3 cu ft
- Weight: 5,445 lb
- Weight Dist. F/R: N/A
- 4.8 sec
- 1/4-Mile: N/A
- Top Speed: 155 mph