Each year, LoJack’s anti-theft system helps its customer recover their stolen vehicles. With so many customers, there’s bound to be a few memorable recovery stories. Below are some of the best of LoJack’s Top 10 Auto Theft Recoveries of 2012.
1956 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible
The “Tri-Five” Chevys aren’t just popular with collectors – thieves like them too. Thieves in California stole a Chevy Silverado, and then decided they wanted more. So they stole a race trailer, hitched it to the Silverado, and then stole a customized ’56 Chevy Bel Air and hid it in the trailer. They should’ve quit while they were ahead because the Bel Air happened to have the LoJack system. The Los Angeles Police Department got a lock on the Bel Air and was able to recover the two stolen vehicles and the trailer.
A GMC Yukon ruined everything for some Fort Worth, Texas thieves. The LoJack-equipped Yukon was stolen and tracked by police to a local warehouse. When they arrived, the police found the stolen Yukon with a stolen Dodge pickup, Chevy Suburban, three Chevy pickups, and seven Cadillac Escalades, resulting in an $182,000 recovery for law enforcement.
A Maryland Toyota RAV4 was caught up in an international auto theft ring. Police tracked the stolen RAV4 to a shipping container, where it was found hidden behind some mattresses with several other vehicles. Had the police been any later, the RAV4 and the other stolen vehicles would’ve been shipped overseas, never to be seen again.
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
A pair of enterprising thieves with nerves of steel stole a LoJack-equipped Jeep Wrangler Rubicon right under the noses of paratroopers and special-operations soldiers stationed at the U.S. Army base at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. Local police tracked the Jeep, but the thieves decided to put the Wrangler Rubicon’s capabilities to work by escaping off-road into the sand dunes, where the police couldn’t follow. The thieves should’ve stayed there, but instead ventured back home the next morning only to find the police had converged on the property. There, law enforcement recovered not just the stolen Jeep, but also a truck, motorcycle, and three ATVs.
The full breakdown of the recoveries below:
10) Army Jeep Wrangler Rubicon off-road escape (above)
9) A stolen vehicle leads police to a major chop shop where police recover 24 intact vehicles, and parts from at least 50 others.
8) A Thief steals a Toyota Tundra and realizing they’re being tracked, pulls over and hides underneath the truck. A police K-9 unit finds the thief and recovers the truck.
7) A Toyota FJ Cruiser that was carelessly left unlocked in a driveway was recovered by police just eight minutes after it had been stolen by a teenage girl.
6) Thieves stole a Chevrolet Silverado and attempted to hide the truck’s identity by giving it a fake VIN. Police track it down, find the original VIN, and recover the Silverado.
4) Greedy thieves and a Chevrolet Bel Air (above)
3) GMC Yukon ruins everything (above)
2) Four con men stole an elderly handicapped man’s valuables, cash, credit cards, and Honda. Police track down the Honda and arrested all four men.
1) Toyota RAV4 busts international auto theft ring (above)
Which story is your favorite? Has your car ever been stolen? Tell us your story in the comments.