Chevrolet Volt owners who are concerned with their 120-volt power cord overheating can exchange the old ones for newer, more reliable models, according to a report by the Detroit Free Press.
Toward the end of last year, Chevrolet Volt owners complained that the standard 120-volt power cord for their cars frequently overheated, which occasionally resulted in melted cords. The problem didn’t seem to afflict people who used the optional (and quicker) Level II/240-volt charger setup, which doesn’t use a standard three-prong plug but is instead hard-wired into a house’s electrical mains.
General Motors said yesterday that it will send a letter to owners and offer an exchange for a new power cord that is said to be more durable and more reliable. The exchange will be free of charge to owners, and all unsold models of Chevrolet Volt will come with the new cord at the time of purchase, Chevrolet said.
Coincidentally, GM says that Chevrolet Volt owners can get a new power cord at the same time they visit the dealership for another safety upgrade, this time to the battery pack. These safety measures were in response to actual fires, which happened at NHTSA facilities weeks after the cars were crash-tested. After the fires GM promised additional safety measures on the Chevrolet Volt, including additional fail-safe implements on the car. GM has contacted owners and will add the safety features to existing Volts, and NHTSA has closed its fire investigation.
Source: Detroit Free Press