First Look: 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG 4Matic

Mercedes-Benz previously provided us with details on the revised 2014 E-Class but hadn’t confirmed any specifications on its AMG versions until today. Now we know that not only will the E63 AMG return in both sedan and wagon configurations, it will also include 4Matic all-wheel drive.

Performance-Oriented All-Wheel Drive

The engineers at AMG have fitted the 2014 E63 AMG – and its CLS63 AMG platform-mate – with a modified version of Mercedes’ 4Matic all-wheel drive. In AMG applications, the 4Matic system apportions 33 percent of the torque to the front axle and the remaining 67 percent to the rear. Power is sent through a multi-plate clutch, and there is a three-stage electronic stability program complete with brake-based torque vectoring to help quell understeer. Top-end E63 AMG S-Model cars also come with a limited-slip rear differential. Despite the added hardware, the all-wheel-drive system adds just 154 pounds to the E63’s curb weight.

The 2014 E63 AMG has standard adaptive sport suspension with an electronically controlled damping system. There are three suspension modes: comfort, sport, and sport plus.

Power Broker

The E63 AMG’s twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-8 engine and seven-speed AMG Speedshift automatic transmission return, but both receive enhancements. The engine is up 32 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque to 550 hp and 531 lb-ft. The Performance Pack has been discontinued in favor of the E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic. The S-Model increases the engine’s output to 577 hp and 590 lb-ft. The additional power in the S-Model comes from modifications in the ECU and higher maximum boost, now 14.5 psi (up from 13.0 psi). Top speed for the standard E63 is electronically limited to 155 mph; the S-Model tops out at 186 mph. The base E63 (available as a sedan only) and the S-Model wagon make the run to 60 mph in just 3.6 seconds; the S-Model sedan gets there a tenth of a second quicker.

As before, the seven-speed automatic offers four drive modes: comfort, sport, sport plus, and manual. Comfort mode includes a stop/start function – it’s deactivated in the other modes. Standard launch control and downshift rev-matching functions return.

The E63 comes standard with 14.2-inch vented and cross-drilled brake rotors. Calipers are painted silver with white AMG lettering and feature six pistons in front and four in the rear. Carbon ceramic brakes are optional on the S-Model and increase disc size to 15.8 inches.

A New Look

Like the rest of the 2014 E-Class range, the E63 AMG is refreshed inside and out. Gone are the quad headlamps, replaced by single-piece units with full-LED running and headlights that mimic the shape of the old setup. The large oval grille is bisected by the new silver-chrome AMG “twin blade” design with a large three-pointed star in the middle. To help with downforce and airflow, the 2014 E63 AMG utilizes a set of diffusers Mercedes calls the “A-wing.” Shaped as though Salvador Dali had rendered the letter A, it is made up of a silver-painted front splitter and black flics on the side air inlets.

High-sheen, ten-spoke aluminum wheels painted in titanium gray are standard on the E63 AMG and come wrapped in 255/35R-19 rubber front and 285/30R-19 rear. The S-Model’s ten-spoke wheels are painted in matte titanium gray and have high-sheen rim flanges.

There are only subtle updates to the cabin. Exclusive to the top-spec E-Class models are gray-contrasting seams on the standard AMG sport seats, door panels, and armrests; silver-colored seat belts; and an all-black interior. The E63 also sees a new steering wheel for 2014 – the tiller is flat at the top and bottom and is wrapped in Alcantara with gray contrasting seams. S-Model cars have a unique logo on the speedometer, which now reads to 200 mph.
Sales of the 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG 4Matic sedan and wagon begin this summer.

We’ve Temporarily Removed Comments

As part of our ongoing efforts to make better, faster, and easier for you to use, we’ve temporarily removed comments as well as the ability to comment. We’re testing and reviewing options to possibly bring comments back. As always, thanks for reading

Buying Guide
Powered by Motortrend


20 City / 29 Hwy

Horse Power:

302 @ 6500


273 @ 3500