Automotive News is reporting that all three domestic automakers-Chrysler, Ford and GM-have pulled out of the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show. The news follows speculation about whether or not the show will commence and rumors that one of Japan's big three automakers-Honda, Nissan and Toyota-will abstain from the show as well.
"We won't be participating," Rick Brown, GM Asia Pacific's president, said. "If you really look at the business conditions that we are in right now, where we really have to make a bang out of every buck we spend, it's simply a business decision."
Chrysler Japan spokesperson Kaori Beppu echoed GM's sentiments. "Chrysler decided, under the current challenges and market situation the company faces, to pull out of TMS in 2009 in order to secure limited resources invested efficiently on activities necessary to sustain our business," Beppu said. "We regret that we will be losing a great opportunity to appeal the company's presence at one of the international auto show, but Chrysler will continue to offer Japanese consumers the very attractive product portfolio as well as the quality services."
A Japanese newspaper reported that Ford would also be missing from the show, saying the Detroit automaker missed last year's deadline to register for the show.
The Tokyo Auto Show is scheduled for October 23 - November 8, but the committee which organizes the show will decide by early next month if it should postpone the show.
Source: Automotive News