If you're scouring for today's hottest automotive video, it's hard to ignore the new Motor Trend Channel that launched today on YouTube. The new channel will be pumped full of automotive programs, including some crafted by the editorial staff here at Automobile.
The new Motor Trend Channel will launch with eight programs:
- Ignition. This snappy, weekly five minute show will feature first drives and first tests of the hottest new cars, trucks and SUVs from around the world. Stay tuned for features on both the Camaro ZL-1 and the Lamborghini Aventador.
- Head 2 Head. No prizes for guessing this is our comparison test series. We’ll focus on performance vehicles and fast motorcycles, though who knows, we may even mix things up from time to time for a little fun – like we did here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPNs3v4m7TA
- Roadkill. This 22-minute program follows the exploits of Hot Rod’s David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan as they continue their love/hate relationship with hot rods, street machines and other highly strung performance vehicles. In Roadkill Freiburger and Finnegan will hit the road in everything from a 1968 Ford Ranchero to a 1500 horsepower Camaro called the F-Bomb. Just getting to their destination will be an adventure.
- Wide Open Throttle. We’ve turned our highly successful new aggregation portal into a punchy, five minute weekly roundup of automotive news and events from around the world. The show will be hosted and presented from a unique studio environment, and will include segments from channel experts on location around the globe.
- On Two Wheels. The name says it all. This show features first rides and first tests of the newest and hottest motorcycles from around the world. Presented by experts from the Motor Trend channel’s portfolio of motorcycling brands, including Motorcyclist and Dirt Rider, it will deliver the most complete and in-depth coverage of all types of two-wheeled machines.
- Hot Rod Unlimited. Direct from the Hot Rod workshop in El Segundo California, this show will feature the latest new performance parts and expert car-building tips from Car Craft’s Doug Glad, and shop manager Grant Peterson. Hot Rod Unlimited is where the wrenches met the metal, and one-of-a-kind cars are created.
- Epic Drives. Amazing road trips have become a signature element of the Motor Trend experience. We’ve taken Dodge’s Challenger through Europe, crossed the Transfagarasan in Romania (before Top Gear did it) in a Hyundai Genesis, and drove a Suzuki Kizashi from Tokyo to LA the hard way – via Siberia. Now we’ll have a camera crew with us, so we can bring you along for the ride in one 22-minute show every month.
- The Downshift. This show celebrates the diversity of cars and car culture. Whether it’s extreme off-roading with the editors of 4Wheeler, drifting with the editors of Import Tuner, having the Lowrider guys show you how they roll, or even meeting action sport stars who love cars, The Downshift will bring you fascinating stories, interesting personalities, and, of course, incredible machinery from beyond the automotive mainstream.
This is just the beginning, though. You’ll be able to help us develop the kind of automotive programming you want to see. There are no network suits to get in the way, so we’re looking to roll out fresh programs as quickly as we can. We already have some killer ideas for new shows we hope to debut later in the year, but we still want your input at every step along the way.
Click below to check out the first video from our new Motor Trend channel, an Ignition first test of the Lamborghini Aventador: