Formula 1 may yet again feel the wrath of Anonymous, the hacker group that briefly shut down the official F1 website last month during the Bahrain Grand Prix, as another threat has been made against the top-tier racing series, according to The Montreal Gazette. Targeting the Canadian Grand Prix this time, Anonymous says it will attack F1-related websites in protest to a recently passed Canadian law intended to stop student protests against proposed tuition hikes.
Anonymous issued a press release that threatened to “wreck anything F1-related” and interfere with the race by attacking servers from June 7-10. As we reported last month, Anonymous shut down the official F1 website during the Bahrain Grand Prix, and voiced opposition toward the regime of reigning monarch Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa. Though the race was unhampered by the attacks, Anonymous claims it succeeded in acquiring personal information such as credit card numbers from the F1 website, which it then released onto the Internet. The group threatens to do the same thing next week during the Canadian Grand Prix.
“We highly suggest that you join the boycott of the F1 in Montreal and we certainly recommend that you do not purchase and tickets or merchandise online,” Anonymous said in a release. “You have been warned.”
With these attacks, Anonymous says it is opposing violations of human rights in Quebec. The hacker group is also targeting F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone, calling the series’ impresario an “evil greedy man.” The statement went on to ask F1 drivers to pledge their support by not crossing the start line.
The Montreal Gazette reports Anonymous has already attacked 13 Quebec government and police websites this month including the Montreal police department’s website on Monday, though operation remained unaffected.
Source: Montreal Gazette, AnonPR