Using social media to help run a race is nothing new to automakers; Mercedes-Benz has just wrapped a race fueled by Twitter followers. Now, Ford is pulling out all the social media stops and capitalizing on Facebook, Twitter, and Hulu in promoting the 2012 Ford Focus with the Focus Rally: America competition.
The first episode of the Focus Rally: America premiered Saturday night, February 5 on Hulu, and was then featured in a one-minute spot airing during the Super Bowl XLV Pre-Game on Sunday. The show will continue to post 10- to 15-minute episodes on Hulu every day throughout the five-week rally.
Driving 2012 Ford Focus hatchbacks, the six teams will race across the United States, starting from the Homestead Miami Speedway. The teams will not only have to be the fastest across the country, but they will all need to rally their online fans to help them win. Each day, the race will stop in a new city and the teams will participate in a challenge, while online players will need to win games on the rally’s website as well. The total points accumulated by both the drivers and their fans will help to decide the victor.
The team names by the color of the car are decided by the color of the 2012 Focus they are driving. The teams are:
- Team Ingot Silver: Jeff Nash, 29, and Margot Baill, 27, both from Chicago; dating. Margo is a product development manager and Jeff owns his own bar
- Team Yellow Blaze: Bryn Drescher, 33, originally from Essex, U.K., and Donna Ruko, 33, both now residing in Los Angeles; friends. Bryn is a life coach and Donna is a lounge host/supervisor
- Team Red Candy: Brittany Boddington, 25, from Northridge, Calif., and Matt Farah, 28, from Redondo Beach, Calif.; friends. Brittany is a writer, model and bartender and Matt is an automotive video host
- Team Blue Candy: Adam Lustick, 27, and Clayton Early, 28, both from Brooklyn, N.Y.; friends. Adam is a comedian and caterer and Clayton is a director of student affairs
- Team Black: Benjamin Kemp, 28, from Philadelphia, and Michael Pericolosi, 25, from Lumberton, N.J.; friends and band members. Benjamin is in marketing and event planning and Michael is a bartender and trainer
- Team Sterling Grey: John Jung, 28, and Carolyn Bee, 24, both from Seattle; co-workers. John and Carolyn are both advertising account managers