While enthusiasts argue of horsepower and lap times, most real consumers care more about what it will actually cost them to own a particular vehicle for the next five years of their lives. With this in mind, Intellichoice.com researches the total cost of ownership and selects its Best Values of the Year. It has just released their winners.
For 2011, Intellichoice reduced the number of categories to better represent what consumers are shopping for. For example, crossover vehicles have been combined with station wagons after they found that most consumers are cross shopping what had been considered two different categories in the past. This doesn’t mean that buyers won’t find what they are looking for. Even with fewer segments, Intellichoice has still chosen 20 winners this year based on accumulated ownership and costs of depreciation, maintenance, repairs, fuel, fees, financing, and insurance.
Toyota comes out the big winner collecting 11 prestigious BOVYs. At a distant second place is a tie between Volvo and GM with two cars each. Nissan, Mini, Subaru, Honda, Audi and Honda each collected one BOVY nod.
The full list of winners is found below:
- Compact Crossover / Wagon - 2011 Toyota RAV4 4-Cyl
- Compact Passenger Car - 2011 Honda Fit
- Compact Pickup - 2011 Toyota Tacoma
- Convertible - 2011 Mini Cooper Convertible
- Crossover / Wagon - 2011 Subaru Outback
- Full-Size Pickup (Light Duty) - 2011 Toyota Tundra
- Full-Size SUV - 2011 GMC Yukon
- Luxury Crossover / Wagon - 2011 Volvo XC90 3.2
- Luxury Passenger Car - 2011 Infinity M37
- Minivan - 2011 Toyota Sienna
- Passenger Car - 2011 Toyota Prius
- Performance Car - 2011 Chevrolet Corvette
- Premium Compact Crossover/Wagon - 2011 Audi A3
- Premium Compact Passenger Car - 2011 Lexus IS 250
- Premium Convertible - 2011 Lexus IS 250C
- Premium Crossover/Wagon - 2011 Lexus RX 350
- Premium Full-Size SUV - 2011 Lexus GX-460
- Premium Passenger Car - 2011 Toyota Avalon
- Premium Sporty/Coupe - 2011 Volvo C30
- SUV - 2011 Toyota 4Runner